May 12, 2009

Foire de Paris

The other weekend I went to the Foire de Paris with Hannah. The Foire is a huge fair where you can find everything you've every thought you might need while watching a late night infomercial on QVC. From kitchen equipement, housing windows to cars, modern art clocks, jewlery, clothes, food galour. Not to mention the cultural experience and the live entertainment. Mix that in with good marketing and free samples, and you've got yourself a great time.

I had free cold coffee, free crepes, free ice creams... funny story on that one. The lady apparently thought she was too good to be serving ice cream and that I was not a worthy customer. So instead of the cones everybody else got, I was treated to a small taste spoon. And as if that wasn't enough, told that "we say MERCI in France." WOA! ok ok... i think she was just having a bad day... Anyways not like that would bother me. We saw old style kitchens, convection ovens that boil water in a minute.

The food was incredible, rows of stands from all the regions of France, including Guadalope and the Antilles. So amazing I tried chocolate made with no sugar and just olive oil, foie gras, different beers, wines, candy, and my favorite the Basque stop. The guy actually handed me the bottle to give samples to all the customers coming around the tent. His name was Damien and he was very entertaining, definitely knew how to keep a crowd going and get people to buy his flavored drinks. From Sangria's, to Margarita's, citron vert, and "FIRE WATER"... it was amazing. I actually captured a little bit of him on camera. You'll have to watch the video below to get a feel for the Foire. I meet another nice man who gave me a free t-shirt. With his company http://www.atlantic-cocktail.com/ . He had flavored cognac, I believe. But loved that we are American. He told us all about his grandfather fighting in the war along with the US. And his love of motorcycles. How he road route66 and loved being in America. A really great French guy.

The cultural part was really cool. I got to see some of the customs from Loic's home island of Guadalope. It was really fun and I felt like I was back in Key West at some points. Also there are tons of dancers, performers, and I even saw a country western line dance. No joke...got it on tape. The French can line dance!!

No comments: